Fred Longworth High School is directly involved in initial teacher training and we work in partnership with Manchester Metropolitan University and Kingsbridge Education Improvement Partnership. School Direct training places are available through our partnership with Kingsbridge EIP. At Fred Longworth High School we will be looking for trainees for 2016-17 across all subject areas.
If you are interested in a School Direct placement you will need to apply through the Kingsbridge partnership, not directly to Fred Longworth High School.
From here follow the links in the ‘How to Apply Section’
About The School Direct Programme for Teacher Training
School Direct – a new way to train to be a teacher!
This new path into teaching is a great way to gain the qualifications and practical skills you need to become a teacher. It allows those who have just finished a degree, or have been working in a career to combine teacher training with actually doing and learning on the job.
We welcome applications from enthusiastic, well qualified, potential trainee teachers who have a passion for their subject.
Why choose School Direct as a way to train?
- You will spend more time in school than trainees on a ‘traditional’ PGCE route.
- You will be training alongside outstanding teachers and lead professionals.
- You will receive excellent professional development at your base school and through our Kingsbridge Partners.
- You will experience the diversity of excellent education providers in different types of schools with different specialisms within the Kingsbridge Partnership.
- You will gain a PGCE with Masters Accreditation through Edge Hill University
- There are tax-free bursaries of up to £20,000 for candidates with top degrees in priority subjects (Chemistry, Physics, Maths).
- You will be supported in seeking employment on successful completion of training
Information about the Kingsbridge Partnership
Fred Longworth High School is a school within the Kingsbridge Partnership.
Kingsbridge@Rosebridge is a SCITT (School Centred Initial Teacher Training). It is a partnership of 7 secondary and 12 primary schools across Wigan. All of our Partnership schools are graded by Ofsted as Good or Outstanding. Kingsbridge@Rosebridge is an outstanding provider of Initial Teacher Training (Ofsted June 2012). We have a very successful model of school-led teacher training and work in close partnership with all of our schools to maintain our very high success rates in both the employment of our trainees as NQTs and their pass rates with the outstanding grade. Trainees are based in their main school throughout the training year with a substantial second placement in a contrasting school. Trainees also benefit from the opportunities of working with a diverse range of schools. This enables them to experience a wide range of provision and fully meet their training needs in areas such as SEND and EAL as well as their substantial subject knowledge development in their main placement schools.
Our tuition fees are £7,500. This includes the PGCE qualification alongside the award of QTS at the completion of the training programme. Salaried trainees will also gain the same 2 qualifications and be paid a salary of around £16,000 for their training year. Both routes will offer the same opportunities and experience and both routes have been equally successful in fully preparing our trainees for their NQT year.
Entry Requirements for Secondary School Direct
- A minimum of a 2:2 degree (preferably a 2:1 degree) in the subject
- GCSE A*-C grade in Mathematics and English Language
- Recent school experience e.g. observations, voluntary assistance, learning support in UK schools is desirable for secondary applicants.
- If you choose apply remember that you must book your Literacy and Numeracy tests. These must be passed as part of the application procedure and preferably before your interview. You cannot train to teach without passing these. To find out more information, to register and to book a test go to: www.education.gov.uk/teachskillstests
It is important that you are able to travel. During the Autumn and Summer Term you will be based at one school within the Kingsbridge Partnership. However, for part of the Spring Term you will be on placement in a different school within the partnership. Placements will be in schools of contrasting natures and you will have the opportunity to benefit from first-class professional development. You will attend weekly sessions (usually on Wednesday) at the Kingsbridge Centre. The Centre is located at Rose Bridge High School in Wigan.
Expectation to Employ
There is an ‘expectation’ (but not a guarantee) of employment on successful completion of the programme within the wider network of Kingsbridge schools. You would have to complete a full application process for any vacancy, the same as all other applicants.