Free School Meals

Did you know … just registering your child for Free School Meals means that the school gets extra money?

Register now to make sure you don’t miss out!

The Government is giving money to schools to help children from lower income families do their very best. This funding is called a ‘Pupil Premium’.

For every child registered Fred Longworth High School gets £935 this year.

The more parents that take up their entitlement to free meals for their children, the more funds we will get to help children from disadvantaged backgrounds. With this money we could pay for extra classes for groups of students or purchase more resources to help teach our students.

Please register as soon as possible to make sure your child and others in their class don’t miss out.

How does it work?

  1. First, check if you qualify – it is not just if you are unemployed, so please look at the list below.
  2. Registering is really quick and easy – if you think you qualify, contact the Benefits office in Wigan Council 01942 828644 who will help you to register or do it online.
  3. If you want your child to have a free, healthy meal at lunchtime that’s great – they will get the free meal (saving you more than £400 a year), extra benefits and the school gets £935 extra. Your child will have a daily allowance of £2.30 added to their food account automatically.
  4. If you don’t want your child to have the school meals they can continue as normal – as long as you qualify and are registered, the school still gets £935 extra.

What happens after I register?

Your child will receive £2.30 per day for lunch.

We operate a cashless catering system so other students do not identify students that receive a free school meal.

Do you qualify?

Your child may be entitled to receive free school meals if you receive any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment & Support Allowance
  • The guaranteed part of the State Pension Credit
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by the Inland Revenue)
  • The Guaranteed element of state pension credit
  • Working Tax Credit run-on (paid 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • Universal Credit

To register online visit:

or Telephone 01942 828644