As of September 2015 the school made the decision to stop using National Curriculum Levels to assess students at Key Stage 3. The decision to remove levels was a welcome change and one that has allowed the school to re-think and re-focus the methodologies teachers use to mark, assess and report the progress of students.
We have used the removal of levels to create an assessment system at KS3 that:
- Is based on developing the key knowledge and skills required for success in KS4.
- Is based on our high expected standards of students.
- Is based heavily on formative feedback and allows all students to succeed – and to develops a growth mindset.
- Is simple and easy to understand – for staff, parents and students.
- Has consistent principles, to be used across subjects, but the flexibility to be suitable for all subjects.