Background and Rationale
As of September 2015 the school made the decision to stop using National Curriculum Levels to assess students at Key Stage 3. The decision to remove levels was a welcome change and one that has allowed the school to re-think and re-focus the methodologies teachers use to mark, assess and report the progress of students.
We have used the removal of levels to create an assessment system at KS3 that:
- Is based on developing the key knowledge and skills required for success in KS4.
- Is based on our high expected standards of students.
- Is based heavily on formative feedback and allows all students to succeed – and to develops a growth mindset.
- Is simple and easy to understand – for staff, parents and students.
- Has consistent principles, to be used across subjects, but the flexibility to be suitable for all subjects.